Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Hornillos de Camino - Catrojeriz

As of today, I have walked over 200 kms. The morning and nights are much colder and I´m thankful for the gloves I bought at Burgos. Last night´s refugio sucked, no hot showers for Lisa and Till (suckers! coz I got some!) and my bed sucked too coz I was right by the door at the top bunk. This morning, stupid people who left so early couldn´t close the doors and I was forced to wake up earlier or freeze to death. Lisa and I weren´t feeling so great...she had a sore throat and I felt like I was coming down with the cold. Till was so nice to make us hot chocolate and warm milk. We are now at the meseta and the landscape is quite dull...boring undulating fields of hay. The good thing about it is that we can walk on the fields instead of the pebbled paths which is so much easier on our feet. My two blisters were bothering me all the way to Hontanas because the blister pads didn´t stick for long and I was so happy to sit down for a bit while Lisa and Till had hot drinks at the bar. The rest of the way went better. I walked ahead of the two towards the ruins of the Convent of San Anton. This place was amazing. All that´s left are parts of the walls and the arches of the old convent and they have made a little refugio there too.

After eating our usual fare of bread and chorizo for a light lunch, we headed 4km to the town of Castrojeriz. Castrojeriz is amazing. Lots of churches and monasteries and the ruins of a castle on top of the hill overlooking the city. The hospitalera, Marina, at the refugio where we finally decided to stay (there are 3 in the town) is really nice. She greeted us with kisses on the cheek as we came in and made us feel really welcome. We managed to get 3 beds right by the heater and the hot showers here were God sent. It is truly amazing what little things makes our day now.

Tonight, Lisa and I are planning to attend Vespers at the Monastery of Santa Clara. That should be a good experience. My feet are still in pain (i think they will permanently going to bother me for the rest of the trip) and my blisters...well, hopefully they won´t be so bad tomorrow.

All in all, I´m still in awe on how far we have gone and how far we still have to go. Today, I felt quite sad thinking of us getting to Santiago and then parting ways. But, really, I shouldn´t get ahead of myself...still have 400km or so to go after all.

P.S. Today I was craving for Schezuan chicken, fried rice and an avocado shake. I swear, as much as I love the Panaderias and wine here in Spain, I really miss the variety of food I can have at home

1 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger Ángel Ruiz said...

I lived in Castrojeriz as a child: for me it's interesting to read how other people see it.
Glad to read you were well attended there.
How was it with the Clarisas? They are really nice (I was with them a week ago).
Now I live in Santiago de Compostela: I can wait for you here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home